No doubt my dim view of makeup, and by extension, of the quest for pure sexiness, ruffled a few marabou bustiers. Long, long ago, argue the bustiers, when Andrea Dworkin roamed the earth, femininity may well have been a tool of the man. But, they claim, no more. Today’s feminist, empowered by all those articles on vibrators in Bust magazine, chooses choices of her own free will. These choices mirror her own unique sartorial, sexual, and philosophical personality. That these unique choices happen to align precisely with standard male porn fantasies, and that they are therefore rewarded with positive attention, is purely coincidental.
It would be many years before I would understand that femininity, the practice of femininity, and the fetishization of femininity degrades all women. That femininity is not a “choice” when the alternative is derision, ridicule, workplace sanctions, or ostracization. That femininity is a set of degrading behaviors that communicates one’s level of commitment to male authority and women’s oppression. That femininity is coerced appeasement, regardless of how successfully it is now marketed to young women as feminism.
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- More straw woman bashing
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- On comparing the drugs trade with the sex trade
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- "Footage the porn industry doesn't want you to see"
- What's Wrong With Pornography
- Row for Freedom!
- BDSM is abuse and rape culture, The Sixth Siren joined Fetlife to prove it
- Why (and How) I am Anti-Porn
- "Beautiful birds in awkward positions"
- About Us
- There is a 'BDSM problems' tumblr ...
- Happy Halloween!
- QotD: "The idea that women should ‘experiment’ and perform sex acts that they do not want to has become a popular model for women’s sexual behaviour in heterosexual relationships since the ‘sexual revolution’ of the 1960s. It is an idea frequently reinforced and legitimated through sex therapy"
- Happy Halloween!
- “Woman receives rape threats after recording 10 hours of harassment in New York”
- QotD: “The idea that women should ‘experiment’ and perform sex acts that they do not want to has become a popular model for women’s sexual behaviour in heterosexual relationships since the ‘sexual revolution’ of the 1960s. It is an idea frequently reinforced and legitimated through sex therapy”
- QotD: “What difference does it make how someone gets into pornography?”
- QotD: “a form of social engineering to force children to conform to rigid gender categories is taking place”
- “Some paedophiles will never face justice”
- “Sitting in on a sex education class”
- New post up at Autonomous Radical Feminists
- QotD: “the feminism they always wanted”
- Northern Ireland Assembly votes to make paying for sex a crime
- (commercial) sexual exploitation of children (149)
- activism (77)
- anti-BDSM (96)
- anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (8)
- articles/essays/commentary (160)
- bin the bunny (31)
- Body Image (44)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (34)
- economics (64)
- events (28)
- FiL08 (5)
- flyers (7)
- Male allies (21)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (103)
- objectification/commodification (192)
- Porn industry conditions (118)
- pornography harms (249)
- pro-sex anti-porn (116)
- quote of the day (949)
- Radical Feminism (745)
- Reproductive Rights (18)
- sex and relationships education (48)
- sex industry advocates (144)
- sex industry survivors (47)
- sexual exploitation (464)
- sexual liberation (34)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (202)
- Trafficking still not a myth (115)
- violence against women (553)
- We live in a rape culture (351)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.