No doubt my dim view of makeup, and by extension, of the quest for pure sexiness, ruffled a few marabou bustiers. Long, long ago, argue the bustiers, when Andrea Dworkin roamed the earth, femininity may well have been a tool of the man. But, they claim, no more. Today’s feminist, empowered by all those articles on vibrators in Bust magazine, chooses choices of her own free will. These choices mirror her own unique sartorial, sexual, and philosophical personality. That these unique choices happen to align precisely with standard male porn fantasies, and that they are therefore rewarded with positive attention, is purely coincidental.
It would be many years before I would understand that femininity, the practice of femininity, and the fetishization of femininity degrades all women. That femininity is not a “choice” when the alternative is derision, ridicule, workplace sanctions, or ostracization. That femininity is a set of degrading behaviors that communicates one’s level of commitment to male authority and women’s oppression. That femininity is coerced appeasement, regardless of how successfully it is now marketed to young women as feminism.
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- More straw woman bashing
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- On comparing the drugs trade with the sex trade
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- "Footage the porn industry doesn't want you to see"
- What's Wrong With Pornography
- QotD: "Note the empowerment and celebration of women's sexuality"
- "Domestic abuse: consultation launched over 'non-violent behaviour'"
- "Most teenagers think internet pornography is damaging, poll finds. 18-year-olds say it is too easy to find explicit images by accident, and most girls say it puts pressure on them to act a certain way"
- QotD: "For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to. Because once it was over, they were able to take off their costume and return to the role of man"
- 'Date My Porn Star' write up
- QotD: "Sasha Grey says she was lured into porn by a violent and abusive ex-BF"
- "On Boycotting Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival"
- Why (and How) I am Anti-Porn
- QotD: “Note the empowerment and celebration of women’s sexuality”
- “Domestic abuse: consultation launched over ‘non-violent behaviour'”
- QotD: “when it comes to gender oppression issues, the focus has to be on how society perceives someone, rather than how someone perceives themselves”
- “Most teenagers think internet pornography is damaging, poll finds. 18-year-olds say it is too easy to find explicit images by accident, and most girls say it puts pressure on them to act a certain way”
- QotD: “Stripped of all social power except their status as men, prisoners can lose this too if they are perceived as weak or passive — that is, feminine”
- “Two men appear in Northern Ireland court charged with human trafficking”
- “Gender Performativity” is Victim Blaming
- QotD: “When a woman becomes the pornographer’s ‘speech’, her violation is sex and is therefore the truth. When a woman speaks for herself, her violation becomes an atrocity and is therefore a lie”
- QotD: “Did you sleep through every meeting of your local Communist reading group?”
- New Category! ‘Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism’
- (commercial) sexual exploitation of children (135)
- activism (77)
- anti-BDSM (86)
- anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (7)
- articles/essays/commentary (152)
- bin the bunny (30)
- Body Image (43)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (26)
- economics (57)
- events (28)
- FiL08 (5)
- flyers (6)
- Male allies (21)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (99)
- objectification/commodification (190)
- Porn industry conditions (109)
- pornography harms (236)
- pro-sex anti-porn (116)
- quote of the day (883)
- Radical Feminism (702)
- Reproductive Rights (18)
- sex and relationships education (46)
- sex industry advocates (136)
- sex industry survivors (45)
- sexual exploitation (447)
- sexual liberation (31)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (183)
- Trafficking still not a myth (106)
- violence against women (523)
- We live in a rape culture (329)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.