Four members of a gang were sentenced on Thursday to a total of 54 years for rapes and sexual assaults on five vulnerable girls, one with learning difficulties.
The girls were also forced to have sex with men for money, which was used to buy drugs and alcohol.
The gang, of Czech and Slovak Roma and Kurdish backgrounds, were convicted last month of attacks on the girls, aged between 12 and 14, from April to December 2012 in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.
Judge John Bevan QC, sentencing the men at the Old Bailey in London, singled out the gang’s treatment of one victim, who had an IQ of just 54. She was repeatedly raped, with men and boys sometimes lining up to abuse her, he said. “To you she was easy meat, a sexual plaything who no one cared about, no one cared for and who nobody would believe. Unfortunately for you, the jury did.”
Another victim became pregnant; a third self-harmed. One girl said in a statement released by Cambridgeshire police that the men had threatened they would kill her and her family if she reported them. “I am still frightened that they will kill me when they get out.”
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- More straw woman bashing
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- On comparing the drugs trade with the sex trade
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- "Footage the porn industry doesn't want you to see"
- What's Wrong With Pornography
- Row for Freedom!
- BDSM is abuse and rape culture, The Sixth Siren joined Fetlife to prove it
- There is a 'BDSM problems' tumblr ...
- QotD: "The idea that women should ‘experiment’ and perform sex acts that they do not want to has become a popular model for women’s sexual behaviour in heterosexual relationships since the ‘sexual revolution’ of the 1960s. It is an idea frequently reinforced and legitimated through sex therapy"
- Why (and How) I am Anti-Porn
- Sex education, you're doing it wrong
- "Beautiful birds in awkward positions"
- About Us
- Happy Halloween!
- “Woman receives rape threats after recording 10 hours of harassment in New York”
- QotD: “The idea that women should ‘experiment’ and perform sex acts that they do not want to has become a popular model for women’s sexual behaviour in heterosexual relationships since the ‘sexual revolution’ of the 1960s. It is an idea frequently reinforced and legitimated through sex therapy”
- QotD: “What difference does it make how someone gets into pornography?”
- QotD: “a form of social engineering to force children to conform to rigid gender categories is taking place”
- “Some paedophiles will never face justice”
- “Sitting in on a sex education class”
- New post up at Autonomous Radical Feminists
- QotD: “the feminism they always wanted”
- Northern Ireland Assembly votes to make paying for sex a crime
- (commercial) sexual exploitation of children (149)
- activism (77)
- anti-BDSM (96)
- anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (8)
- articles/essays/commentary (160)
- bin the bunny (31)
- Body Image (44)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (34)
- economics (64)
- events (28)
- FiL08 (5)
- flyers (7)
- Male allies (21)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (103)
- objectification/commodification (192)
- Porn industry conditions (118)
- pornography harms (249)
- pro-sex anti-porn (116)
- quote of the day (949)
- Radical Feminism (745)
- Reproductive Rights (18)
- sex and relationships education (48)
- sex industry advocates (144)
- sex industry survivors (47)
- sexual exploitation (464)
- sexual liberation (34)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (202)
- Trafficking still not a myth (115)
- violence against women (553)
- We live in a rape culture (351)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.