Four members of a gang were sentenced on Thursday to a total of 54 years for rapes and sexual assaults on five vulnerable girls, one with learning difficulties.
The girls were also forced to have sex with men for money, which was used to buy drugs and alcohol.
The gang, of Czech and Slovak Roma and Kurdish backgrounds, were convicted last month of attacks on the girls, aged between 12 and 14, from April to December 2012 in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.
Judge John Bevan QC, sentencing the men at the Old Bailey in London, singled out the gang’s treatment of one victim, who had an IQ of just 54. She was repeatedly raped, with men and boys sometimes lining up to abuse her, he said. “To you she was easy meat, a sexual plaything who no one cared about, no one cared for and who nobody would believe. Unfortunately for you, the jury did.”
Another victim became pregnant; a third self-harmed. One girl said in a statement released by Cambridgeshire police that the men had threatened they would kill her and her family if she reported them. “I am still frightened that they will kill me when they get out.”
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- More straw woman bashing
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- No, radical feminists do not hate porn performers
- On comparing the drugs trade with the sex trade
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- The UK’s new porn regulations aren’t particularly feminist, but neither do they prove the existence of ‘feminist porn’. Also, ‘squirting’ isn’t feminist
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- You’re in League with Religious Fundamentalists!!!
- "Footage the porn industry doesn't want you to see"
- What's Wrong With Pornography
- QotD: "The fact that you’re ignorant of the risk doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, it just means you’re ignorant"
- Why (and How) I am Anti-Porn
- BDSM is abuse and rape culture, The Sixth Siren joined Fetlife to prove it
- Abuse at kink.com
- 'Date My Porn Star' write up
- QotD: "Pornography has changed the landscape of adolescence beyond all recognition"
- This is why the term 'sex work' is a lie
- About Us
- “Rape victim falsely accused of lying by police wins £20,000 payout”
- QotD: “Behind the scenes with a police rape team”
- QotD: “the abyss has stared fucking back, and the punk ass boy is you”
- QotD: “The sexual abuse of children by French peacekeeping troops in the Central African Republic”
- QotD: “Susie’s story”
- QotD: “Rotherham council is to come under central government control after an independent inspection of its handling of child sexual exploitation concluded it was not fit for purpose”
- QotD: “She will have developed the idea that some acts are unforgivable, especially those that involve powerful people mistreating the helpless”
- “My hero: Shulamith Firestone”
- Student sues Oxford over handling of rape complaints … and fails
- “14 held in sex abuse investigation in West Midlands and Chesterfield”
- (Commercial) sexual exploitation of children (205)
- Anti-BDSM (125)
- Anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (10)
- Bin the Bunny (31)
- Body Image (48)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (48)
- Comments/essays/analysis (176)
- Domestic/intimate partner violence/stalking (1)
- Economics (73)
- Femicide (2)
- Flyers/events/activism (89)
- Free Speech/Censorship (3)
- Images Matter (2)
- Intersectionality: you're doing it right! (4)
- Male allies (23)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (128)
- Porn industry conditions (135)
- Pornography harms (282)
- Quote of the Day (1,124)
- Radical Feminism (824)
- Reproductive Rights (18)
- Search Engine Terms (16)
- Sex and Relationships Education (61)
- Sex industry advocates (160)
- Sex industry survivors (62)
- Sexual liberation (38)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (queer/postmodern/'sex positive' theory) (255)
- There's no such thing as 'feminist porn' (or, 'what about queer/gay/alt/'ethical' porn?') (8)
- Trafficking still not a myth (143)
- Uncategorized (26)
- We live in a rape culture (442)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.