Thousands of Germans paid tribute on Sunday to a 23-year-old student who was murdered after rushing to the aid of two teenage girls who were being harassed by a group of men.
Tuğçe Albayrak died on Friday from injuries sustained two weeks ago when she was attacked in the car park of a McDonald’s in Offenbach, near Frankfurt in western Germany. She received blows to her head, from either a bat or a stone. Blurred footage from CCTV cameras captured the moment when she fell backwards, hitting her head on the ground.
She suffered a traumatic brain injury and later fell into a coma.
Her parents took the decision on Friday, their daughter’s 23rd birthday, to turn off her life support machine, after doctors pronounced her brain dead.
Her alleged attacker, an 18-year-old identified only as Sanel M, from the Sandzak region of south-west Serbia, has admitted attacking Albayrak and is being held in police custody. On the video footage he is shown with an accomplice, who apparently tried to hold him back as he began attacking the student who had earlier intervened after hearing the screams of two women in the McDonald’s toilet who were being harassed. Police are trying to track down the women.
On Sunday hundreds gathered to pay their respects on Oranienplatz in Berlin’s Kreuzberg district, which has a large Turkish community. Albayrak was Turkish by origin. Billed as a “civil courage” vigil, people held up photographs of Albayrak, some with slogans and written tributes.
Outside the Offenbach hospital where she died, and where people had been holding a vigil since the attack on her on November 15, people brought flowers and lit candles and a pianist played the student’s favourite songs as friends released helium-filled balloons with farewell messages attached.
A petition that has so far gathered 100,000 signatures has been sent to Germany’s president, Joachim Gauck, urging him to award Albayrak the national order of merit posthumously.
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- More straw woman bashing
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- No, radical feminists do not hate porn performers
- On comparing the drugs trade with the sex trade
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- The UK’s new porn regulations aren’t particularly feminist, but neither do they prove the existence of ‘feminist porn’. Also, ‘squirting’ isn’t feminist
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- This is why the term ‘sex work’ is a lie
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- You’re in League with Religious Fundamentalists!!!
- "Footage the porn industry doesn't want you to see"
- What's Wrong With Pornography
- BDSM is abuse and rape culture, The Sixth Siren joined Fetlife to prove it
- QotD: "For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to. Because once it was over, they were able to take off their costume and return to the role of man"
- Why (and How) I am Anti-Porn
- There is a 'BDSM problems' tumblr ...
- The UK's new porn regulations aren't particularly feminist, but neither do they prove the existence of 'feminist porn'. Also, 'squirting' isn't feminist
- An absolute low from the Guardian
- Disabled women and domestic violence
- "My hero: Shulamith Firestone"
- Newcastle child sexual exploitation network convicted
- An absolute low from the Guardian
- A temporary hiatus and a new media platform
- The Guardian is still calling raped women ‘workers’
- “Romanian couple jailed for trafficking girl, 14, into prostitution in UK”
- “Hiding in Plain Sight: The Life and Crimes of Dr John Davies”
- QotD: “Why studying porn is like taking a cold shower”
- QotD: “If ‘sex work is work’, poverty is necessary”
- “Women’s Equality party leader seeks backing for a clear run to beat ‘misogynist’ MP”
- QotD: “Today’s feminists are bland, shallow and lazy”
- (Commercial) sexual exploitation of children (369)
- Anti-BDSM (154)
- Anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (10)
- Bin the Bunny (36)
- Body Image, Health (75)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (124)
- Comments/essays/analysis (216)
- Domestic/intimate partner violence/stalking (34)
- Economics (115)
- Femicide (28)
- Flyers/events/activism (102)
- Free Speech/Censorship (39)
- Images Matter (16)
- Intersectionality: you're doing it right! (4)
- Male allies (32)
- Motherhood (14)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (164)
- Porn industry conditions (177)
- Pornography harms (379)
- Prostitution (319)
- Quote of the Day (1,684)
- Radical Feminism (1,100)
- Reproductive Rights (37)
- Search Engine Terms (20)
- Sex and Relationships Education (89)
- Sex industry advocates (215)
- Sex industry survivors (119)
- Sexual liberation (39)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (LibFem/3rd Wave/queer/postmodern/'sex positive' theory) (405)
- There's no such thing as 'feminist porn' (or, 'what about queer/gay/alt/'ethical' porn?') (24)
- Trafficking still not a myth (269)
- We live in a rape culture (634)
- Campus Rape Culture (26)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.