The Sun has published a picture of a topless woman on Page Three and mocked media outlets that said the long-running feature had been dropped.
On Tuesday, the Sun’s sister paper the Times said the tabloid would no longer feature Page Three girls – but one appears in the Sun’s latest edition.
The supposed ending of Page Three was widely reported, despite the Sun neither confirming or denying it.
On the page, the Sun “apologises” on behalf of all those who ran the story.
The Sun announces Page Three’s return with a trail on the front page that reads: “We’ve had a mammary lapse.”
It heads the image of the woman, who is seen winking into the camera, “Clarifications and corrections”.
A caption under the photograph reads: “Further to recent reports in all other media outlets, we would like to clarify that this is Page 3 and this is a picture of Nicole, 22, from Bournemouth.
“We would like to apologise on behalf of the print and broadcast journalists who have spent the last two days talking and writing about us.”
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- More straw woman bashing
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- No, radical feminists do not hate porn performers
- On comparing the drugs trade with the sex trade
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- The UK’s new porn regulations aren’t particularly feminist, but neither do they prove the existence of ‘feminist porn’. Also, ‘squirting’ isn’t feminist
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- This is why the term ‘sex work’ is a lie
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- You’re in League with Religious Fundamentalists!!!
- The Guardian is still calling raped women ‘workers’
- “Romanian couple jailed for trafficking girl, 14, into prostitution in UK”
- “Hiding in Plain Sight: The Life and Crimes of Dr John Davies”
- QotD: “Why studying porn is like taking a cold shower”
- QotD: “If ‘sex work is work’, poverty is necessary”
- “Women’s Equality party leader seeks backing for a clear run to beat ‘misogynist’ MP”
- QotD: “Today’s feminists are bland, shallow and lazy”
- ‘Making Sense of Modern Pornography’
- QotD: “This is the beginning of a new style of feminism, which is not about one’s social position, but one’s inner identity”
- QotD: “You ought to consider the fact that these histories have been written by men”
- (Commercial) sexual exploitation of children (367)
- Anti-BDSM (154)
- Anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (10)
- Bin the Bunny (36)
- Body Image, Health (75)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (124)
- Comments/essays/analysis (214)
- Domestic/intimate partner violence/stalking (34)
- Economics (115)
- Femicide (28)
- Flyers/events/activism (102)
- Free Speech/Censorship (38)
- Images Matter (16)
- Intersectionality: you're doing it right! (4)
- Male allies (32)
- Motherhood (14)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (164)
- Porn industry conditions (177)
- Pornography harms (379)
- Prostitution (317)
- Quote of the Day (1,683)
- Radical Feminism (1,100)
- Reproductive Rights (37)
- Search Engine Terms (20)
- Sex and Relationships Education (89)
- Sex industry advocates (215)
- Sex industry survivors (119)
- Sexual liberation (39)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (LibFem/3rd Wave/queer/postmodern/'sex positive' theory) (405)
- There's no such thing as 'feminist porn' (or, 'what about queer/gay/alt/'ethical' porn?') (24)
- Trafficking still not a myth (269)
- We live in a rape culture (632)
- Campus Rape Culture (26)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.