The Argentine President, Mauricio Macri, has announced a national plan to fight violence against women.
Mr Macri said every 37 hours a woman was attacked in Argentina and that education was the key to ending deeply rooted cultural patterns of violence.
The plan, due to start next year, includes creating a network of women’s refuges, and money for the electronic tagging of violent men.
Last year 235 women were killed in gender violence incidents in Argentina.
The government’s National Plan for the Eradication of Violence against Women is putting into force a 2009 law.
Presenting the plan President Macri said: “We all need to commit ourselves. This is not only the job of government it is for society too.”
Maria Fabiana Tunez, the president of the National Council of Women, a government agency, said the plan would last three years and include introducing gender violence awareness into the school curriculum. Staffing at a telephone helpline for women will also be increased.
The national plan comes after a series of rallies and demonstrations in several cities last year.
The initial demonstration last year followed the murder of a 14-year-old pregnant schoolgirl, Chiara Paez, who was found buried in her boyfriend’s garden three days after being reported missing in the town of Rufino in central Santa Fe province.
In the past year there have been protests elsewhere in Latin America against gender violence, in countries including Mexico, Bolivia, Colombia and Brazil.
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- BDSM is abuse and rape culture, The Sixth Siren joined Fetlife to prove it
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- ‘Cherry-picking’ and academic studies on women’s violence against men
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to Make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Knowland Doesn’t Know, Part One
- Knowland Doesn’t Know, Part Two
- The legal marijuana industry in Colorado and the legal porn industry in California, compare and contrast
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- #MeToo and Anti-porn Feminism
- More BDSM Grossness
- More straw woman bashing
- ‘Mums Make Porn’ but there’s still no such thing as feminist porn
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- No, radical feminists do not hate porn performers
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- ‘Teen porn’ is popular because virtual/pseudo child porn is marketed as ‘teen porn’
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- This is why the term ‘sex work’ is a lie
- The UK’s new porn regulations aren’t particularly feminist, but neither do they prove the existence of ‘feminist porn’. Also, ‘squirting’ isn’t feminist
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- You’re in League with Religious Fundamentalists!!!
- "Footage the porn industry doesn't want you to see"
- 'Teen porn' is popular because virtual/pseudo child porn is marketed as 'teen porn'
- What is 'ethical' porn for? What does it achieve?
- QotD: "For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to. Because once it was over, they were able to take off their costume and return to the role of man"
- QotD: "Six-year-olds tell of abuse by classmates"
- "Beautiful birds in awkward positions"
- QotD: "County lines gangs give young girls to dealers"
- What's Wrong With Pornography
- QotD: "NZ brushes off human trafficking report"
- QotD: "I’m anti-kink because dangerous behavior does not become ethical with the addition of orgasms"
- QotD: “County lines gangs give young girls to dealers”
- QotD: “Six-year-olds tell of abuse by classmates”
- QotD: “Sexual harassment in schools is down to one thing: porn”
- QotD: “The trouble with being a teenage boy today”
- QotD: Teachers ‘struggle to deal with classroom sexual abuse’
- QotD: “Fewer than one in 60 rape cases lead to charge in England and Wales”
- QotD: “Porn blocker ‘missing’ from Online Safety Bill prompts concern”
- QotD: “In the land of murdered wives”
- QotD: “Father calls for pornography sites to require proof of age”
- QotD : “They knew. They all knew”
- (Commercial) sexual exploitation of children (507)
- Anti-BDSM (194)
- Anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (11)
- Bin the Bunny (44)
- Body Image, Health (94)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (128)
- Comments/essays/analysis (259)
- Domestic/intimate partner violence/stalking (91)
- Economics (132)
- Femicide (73)
- Flyers/events/activism/media complaints (138)
- Free Speech/Censorship (94)
- Images Matter (24)
- Intersectionality: you're doing it right! (8)
- Male allies (44)
- Motherhood (29)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (182)
- Porn industry conditions (229)
- Pornography harms (508)
- Prostitution (439)
- Quote of the Day (2,116)
- Radical Feminism (1,275)
- Reproductive Rights (43)
- Search Engine Terms (22)
- Sex and Relationships Education (104)
- Sex industry advocates (240)
- Sex industry survivors (136)
- Sexual liberation (41)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (LibFem/3rd Wave/queer/postmodern/'sex positive' theory) (489)
- There's no such thing as 'feminist porn' (or, 'what about queer/gay/alt/'ethical' porn?') (38)
- Trafficking still not a myth (344)
- Trans issues (216)
- We live in a rape culture (736)
- Campus Rape Culture (39)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.