A feminist group concerned about the social pressure placed on children to become transgender has had its fundraising stopped after a “bullying” campaign by trans activists.
Transgender Trend said it was considering taking legal action against activists for claiming that a resource pack that it publishes for schools was “transphobic”, included “hate speech” and was “a modern edition of Mein Kampf”.
The Crowdfunder website has now suspended the group’s fundraising page — jeopardising nearly £5,000 already raised there — after it received an “unprecedented” number of complaints from trans groups.
The resource pack says transgender pupils “have the same rights as all children to learn while feeling safe and to be free from bullying, harassment and discrimination” and should be treated with “kind acceptance”.
However, it warns against “labelling”, “affirming” and “celebrating” as transgender any young people who may subsequently change their minds, saying teenagers are at risk of “social contagion” from online celebrities who “glamourise medical transition”.
Susie Green, chief executive of the Mermaids charity, said the guidance contained “hysterical and unsubstantiated claims made to damage the rights of transgender young people”.
Stephanie Davies-Arai, of Transgender Trend, said the pack was measured, careful and evidence-based and advocated the “watchful waiting” approach pursued by the leading NHS clinicians in this field.
“Attacking our fundraising and telling lies about us is part of a concerted campaign by trans activists to silence anyone who disagrees that children should be rushed into life-changing, even surgical interventions at a harmfully early age,” she said.
“I hope Crowdfunder will not give in to this bullying.”
Crowdfunder said: “In line with our content guidelines and terms and conditions, we have suspended the project while we investigate further.”
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- BDSM is abuse and rape culture, The Sixth Siren joined Fetlife to prove it
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- ‘Cherry-picking’ and academic studies on women’s violence against men
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to Make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Knowland Doesn’t Know
- The legal marijuana industry in Colorado and the legal porn industry in California, compare and contrast
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- #MeToo and Anti-porn Feminism
- More BDSM Grossness
- More straw woman bashing
- ‘Mums Make Porn’ but there’s still no such thing as feminist porn
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- No, radical feminists do not hate porn performers
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- ‘Teen porn’ is popular because virtual/pseudo child porn is marketed as ‘teen porn’
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- This is why the term ‘sex work’ is a lie
- The UK’s new porn regulations aren’t particularly feminist, but neither do they prove the existence of ‘feminist porn’. Also, ‘squirting’ isn’t feminist
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- You’re in League with Religious Fundamentalists!!!
- QotD: “Judge ‘flabbergasted’ at prosecution of woman who took abortion pills”
- QotD: “Can age verification stop children seeing pornography?”
- QotD: “Sex trafficking cases climb in New York City – but NYPD is accused of turning a blind eye”
- QotD: “To stand on the shoulders of idiots”
- QotD: “Pornhub partners with child abuse charities to intercept illegal activity”
- QotD: “Soma Sara: Extreme porn is rewiring boys’ brains to sanction rape culture”
- QotD: “This is a hard lesson society is still learning: sex offenders are husbands, dads, people holding down respectable jobs”
- QotD: “Vulgar and Unsightly”
- QotD: “Rise in popularity of anal sex has led to health problems for women”
- QotD: “Pornhub: Judge rules Visa can be sued in abuse claim”
- (Commercial) sexual exploitation of children (529)
- Anti-BDSM (201)
- Anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (11)
- Bin the Bunny (44)
- Body Image, Health (97)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (129)
- Comments/essays/analysis (259)
- Domestic/intimate partner violence/stalking (101)
- Economics (132)
- Femicide (82)
- Flyers/events/activism/media complaints (139)
- Free Speech/Censorship (94)
- Images Matter (24)
- Intersectionality: you're doing it right! (8)
- Male allies (46)
- Motherhood (31)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (185)
- Porn industry conditions (233)
- Pornography harms (527)
- Prostitution (454)
- Quote of the Day (2,159)
- Radical Feminism (1,286)
- Reproductive Rights (45)
- Search Engine Terms (22)
- Sex and Relationships Education (107)
- Sex industry advocates (244)
- Sex industry survivors (139)
- Sexual liberation (41)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (LibFem/3rd Wave/queer/postmodern/'sex positive' theory) (495)
- There's no such thing as 'feminist porn' (or, 'what about queer/gay/alt/'ethical' porn?') (39)
- Trafficking still not a myth (358)
- Trans issues (219)
- We live in a rape culture (757)
- Campus Rape Culture (42)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.