Join us in Leeds for a U.K. Launch of The Declaration of Sex Based Rights.
Academic, author and activist Dr. Sheila Jeffreys, sociologist and author Dr. Heather Brunskell-Evans, and lawyer and legal academic Maureen O’Hara will be presenting The Declaration on Women’s Sex-Based Rights, for the first time in the U.K.
The meeting will be Chaired by Sarah Field, Leeds City Councillor for Garforth.
The Declaration re-affirms that women’s human rights are based upon sex.
Our panellists will speak about how the idea of ‘gender identity’ is eroding the notion and practice of women’s rights.
‘Gender identity’ is increasingly being used in an official capacity – for example the ability to change your ‘gender marker’ on the Leeds City Council website, with no checks or documentation.
They’ll explore how the official adoption of gender, as opposed to sex, endangers the rights of women and girl children to safety and dignity, and leads to discrimination against women in areas such as political representation, freedom of speech and association, sports and culture.
Join with women around the world to make a stand to defend our sex based rights, as laid out in the 1979 U.N. Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), ratified by the U.K. in 1986.
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- #MeToo and Anti-porn Feminism
- More BDSM Grossness
- More straw woman bashing
- ‘Mums Make Porn’ but there’s still no such thing as feminist porn
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- No, radical feminists do not hate porn performers
- On comparing the drugs trade with the sex trade
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- The UK’s new porn regulations aren’t particularly feminist, but neither do they prove the existence of ‘feminist porn’. Also, ‘squirting’ isn’t feminist
- ‘Teen porn’ is popular because virtual/pseudo child porn is marketed as ‘teen porn’
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- This is why the term ‘sex work’ is a lie
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- You’re in League with Religious Fundamentalists!!!
- "Footage the porn industry doesn't want you to see"
- BDSM is abuse and rape culture, The Sixth Siren joined Fetlife to prove it
- 'Teen porn' is popular because virtual/pseudo child porn is marketed as 'teen porn'
- Trans activist calls girls 'invasive little cock monsters' and 'dick-hungry 8 year old lesbians'
- What's Wrong With Pornography
- About Us
- QotD: "Michael Shively on Science & Sex Work Policy"
- Here is a handy explanation of what radfems think of bdsm:
- More BDSM grossness
- QotD: "If someone had told me 10 years ago that so-called feminists would be demonstrating outside a lap-dancing club, waving placards in support of stripping for a living, I would have laughed"
- QotD: “Michael Shively on Science & Sex Work Policy”
- QotD: “If someone had told me 10 years ago that so-called feminists would be demonstrating outside a lap-dancing club, waving placards in support of stripping for a living, I would have laughed”
- QotD: “Concern grows over ‘rough sex gone wrong’ defence in courts”
- Grace Millane murder: Man guilty of killing backpacker in New Zealand
- QotD: “Birmingham revenge porn victim had strangers arrive at home”
- QotD: “PayPal cuts off Pornhub over child abuse videos”
- QotD: “The ‘Consensual Rough Sex’ Defence Is On The Rise In Murder Cases And We Need To Discuss It”
- QotD: “The failed attempt to silence the sex trade survivor Rachel Moran”
- QotD: “Seventeen arrested in human trafficking raids in London”
- This is what we mean when we say misogyny is ‘normal’
- (Commercial) sexual exploitation of children (449)
- Anti-BDSM (172)
- Anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (10)
- Bin the Bunny (44)
- Body Image, Health (89)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (127)
- Comments/essays/analysis (251)
- Domestic/intimate partner violence/stalking (61)
- Economics (123)
- Femicide (48)
- Flyers/events/activism (114)
- Free Speech/Censorship (93)
- Images Matter (23)
- Intersectionality: you're doing it right! (8)
- Male allies (42)
- Motherhood (20)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (173)
- Porn industry conditions (203)
- Pornography harms (446)
- Prostitution (409)
- Quote of the Day (1,971)
- Radical Feminism (1,232)
- Reproductive Rights (41)
- Search Engine Terms (22)
- Sex and Relationships Education (96)
- Sex industry advocates (235)
- Sex industry survivors (131)
- Sexual liberation (41)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (LibFem/3rd Wave/queer/postmodern/'sex positive' theory) (463)
- There's no such thing as 'feminist porn' (or, 'what about queer/gay/alt/'ethical' porn?') (34)
- Trafficking still not a myth (320)
- Trans issues (216)
- We live in a rape culture (682)
- Campus Rape Culture (27)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.