Amelia Tiganus is a sex-trade survivor, originally from Romania. She has been campaigning to introduce laws to criminalise demand – the men that pay for sex – for a number of years. This week saw her wish come true, when the Spanish parliament voted in favour of clamping down on pimping and introducing criminal penalties for men buying sex.
Until now, prostitution has been tolerated in Spain, with many brothels operating as hotels or other lodging establishments, although sexual exploitation and pimping are illegal.
Tiganus was prostituted in Spain, where she still lives. She has long been involved in a campaign to end the sex trade, working since 2015 with Feminicidio as coordinator of its online training platform and projects for the prevention and awareness of prostitution, trafficking and other forms of violence against women. She is currently documenting the number of murdered prostituted women in Spain.
Tiganus has published several articles on the sexual exploitation of women and girls. In the past two years, she has given more than 100 lectures and workshops throughout Spain and Argentina. I spoke to Tiganus about being trafficked and abused in state-sanctioned brothels, and about her life and activism after escaping prostitution. Here is her story.
It is true, and very much to the point, that women are objects, commodities, some deemed more expensive than others - but it is only by asserting one’s humanness every time, in all situations, that one becomes someone as opposed to something. That, after all, is the core of our struggle.
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Andrea Dworkin, Woman Hating
Recommended Posts from this Blog
- Alain de Botton mostly misses the point regarding pornography
- Another ‘thanks sex pozzers!’ post (this time with added bestiality)
- BDSM is abuse and rape culture, The Sixth Siren joined Fetlife to prove it
- “Beautiful birds in awkward positions”
- Brooke Magnanti needs to ‘check her privilege’
- ‘Cherry-picking’ and academic studies on women’s violence against men
- Child Sex Trafficking, Failing to Make the Connections
- Dumb MRA says dumb MRA things
- Factchecking MRAs
- Footage the porn industry doesn’t want you to see
- For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to
- Further thoughts on the ‘sex positive’ response to prostitution
- Hardcore Profits Write Up
- Knowland Doesn’t Know
- The legal marijuana industry in Colorado and the legal porn industry in California, compare and contrast
- Massive straw-woman attack on radical feminists and prostitution abolitionists in the Guardian this week
- #MeToo and Anti-porn Feminism
- More BDSM Grossness
- More straw woman bashing
- ‘Mums Make Porn’ but there’s still no such thing as feminist porn
- Naming the agent and understanding how oppression works
- No, radical feminists do not hate porn performers
- On the idea that ‘banning’ porn would create a ‘black market’
- Porn and Sexual Liberation
- Pornograhy is what the end of the world looks like
- Pornography, Anarchy and the Queen
- Radical feminism does not share goals with the religious right
- Roll Up, Roll Up, For The Real Johnny Anglais Show!
- Surprise surprise, the BDSM scene is as much a patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture as the rest of our patriarchal, victim blaming rape culture
- ‘Teen porn’ is popular because virtual/pseudo child porn is marketed as ‘teen porn’
- There is a ‘BDSM problems’ tumblr …
- This is why the term ‘sex work’ is a lie
- The UK’s new porn regulations aren’t particularly feminist, but neither do they prove the existence of ‘feminist porn’. Also, ‘squirting’ isn’t feminist
- What are we Reclaiming For?
- What does agency mean? what does making someone a victim mean?
- What is ‘ethical’ porn for? What does it achieve?
- Why (and How) I am Anti-porn
- You’re in League with Religious Fundamentalists!!!
- Bin the Bunny
- "Footage the porn industry doesn't want you to see"
- Factchecking MRAs
- QotD: "Porn industry groups cut ties to star James Deen amid sexual assault claims"
- QotD: "Vanilla is the new frigid"
- Playboy Quiz
- Another 'thanks sex pozzers!' post (this time with added bestiality)
- Vanilla Pride!
- QotD: "For them, it was a fun game to get their dicks hard to. Because once it was over, they were able to take off their costume and return to the role of man"
- QotD: The outmoded notion of the alpha wolf
- QotD: “Can age verification stop children seeing pornography?”
- QotD: “Sex trafficking cases climb in New York City – but NYPD is accused of turning a blind eye”
- QotD: “To stand on the shoulders of idiots”
- QotD: “Pornhub partners with child abuse charities to intercept illegal activity”
- QotD: “Soma Sara: Extreme porn is rewiring boys’ brains to sanction rape culture”
- QotD: “This is a hard lesson society is still learning: sex offenders are husbands, dads, people holding down respectable jobs”
- QotD: “Vulgar and Unsightly”
- QotD: “Rise in popularity of anal sex has led to health problems for women”
- QotD: “Pornhub: Judge rules Visa can be sued in abuse claim”
- QotD: “Infiltrate after-hours economy to bring predators out of the shadows”
- (Commercial) sexual exploitation of children (529)
- Anti-BDSM (201)
- Anti-irony feminist (4)
- Anti-porn: you're doing it wrong (11)
- Bin the Bunny (44)
- Body Image, Health (97)
- Brain Sex!/Genderism/Gender Criticism (129)
- Comments/essays/analysis (259)
- Domestic/intimate partner violence/stalking (101)
- Economics (132)
- Femicide (82)
- Flyers/events/activism/media complaints (139)
- Free Speech/Censorship (94)
- Images Matter (24)
- Intersectionality: you're doing it right! (8)
- Male allies (46)
- Motherhood (31)
- MRAs, Nice Guys(TM) and 'male feminists' (185)
- Porn industry conditions (233)
- Pornography harms (527)
- Prostitution (454)
- Quote of the Day (2,158)
- Radical Feminism (1,286)
- Reproductive Rights (44)
- Search Engine Terms (22)
- Sex and Relationships Education (107)
- Sex industry advocates (244)
- Sex industry survivors (139)
- Sexual liberation (41)
- Thanks sex pozzers! (LibFem/3rd Wave/queer/postmodern/'sex positive' theory) (495)
- There's no such thing as 'feminist porn' (or, 'what about queer/gay/alt/'ethical' porn?') (39)
- Trafficking still not a myth (358)
- Trans issues (219)
- We live in a rape culture (757)
- Campus Rape Culture (42)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.